Sunday, February 5, 2012

We Real Cool by Gwendolyn Brooks


     I liked this poem for its shortness and simplicity. The introduction is already a vital part of the poem itself, since it introduces the characters and the place where they usually hang out. The quick rhythm of the poem brings a sense of urgency in the lines, which is finally stopped in the last line. I liked the hanging "We" at the end of each line, because they made me shift from one line to the next at a quick pace. The pool players seem to be enjoying what they are doing. They think that they're cool and all. They left school, lurk at night, play pool, sing, and drink. Eventually, they all die. What a sad ending, but I would be too kind if I said they didn't deserve it. They suffered the consequences of their actions. After reading the last line, I couldn't help but go through the poem again. I then realized that 'Seven' could have a double meaning. It could be a lucky number, but it can represent the seven deadly sins as well. This is probably my favorite poem so far for Lit14 because of the meaning and lessons that it conveys, whilst maintaining simplicity. If we replace the actions of the pool players in every line, then we can actually make a modern and still applicable version of the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment