Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Sad Art of Making Paper by Ramon Sunico

     Despair and desolation. Yes, those were the first things that came into my mind when I read the title. I mean, how could making paper be a sad art? This question lingered in my mind as I read the poem. At first I thought that it must be because these people worked so hard just to make paper. I even thought that the poem had an issue on labor distribution and gender inequality. I was wrong. As I read it repeatedly to understand its meaning, I realized that the poem actually has a melancholic tone and tries to portray something ironic. It's trying to show that in the process of trying to create something appealing to the eyes, something else has to be destroyed. It's a harsh reality, but it has to be dealt with. I liked the words that were used, since they stimulated my imagination really well. I also felt the sadness in the end, especially during the line, "To love beauty is to despair." I guess making paper is really a sad art after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment