Sunday, February 5, 2012

To His Coy Mistress by Andrew Marvell

     This poem seems long at first, but it's a good read. Since we had to report this for class, I needed to
read the poem extra carefully even during the first time(which could be a wrong thing to do) so that I wouldn't have problems later on. I loved the use of words in the poem. The images that conjured in my mind while reading were really vivid because of the descriptions. The words that were normally used as nouns were used as adjectives in this poem, such as "vegetable", which really kept me entertained and interested throughout. I found the latter part of the first section as a little too exaggerated, but I guess that's what the persona was aiming for. In his defense, it worked really well to show the divided tones of the poem. The second part talks about time and how limited it is in this world, so the persona suggests that they should have sex or else the worms will take the addressee's virginity instead. Now, that was an image I didn't want to think of, but I was forced into thinking of it anyways. I cringed in disgust, while remembering the movie "Human Centipede" for some odd reason. Gladly, the third part wasn't  as disturbing. The words such as "hue" and "glew" made me almost forget about the previous part's horrid imagery. This third part has a forceful tone into it which I loved and hated at the same time because it had to end with a paradox, which I had to think of for a long time to actually understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment